[TYPO3-core] RFC #8385: Bugfix: Modified tslib_cObj::substituteMarkerArray() misses call parameter

Francois Suter fsuter at cobweb.ch
Tue May 13 22:41:55 CEST 2008

Hi,

> $deleteUnused parameter wasn't part of TYPO3 4.1 either, so you couldn't
> use it anyway, right?
>
> At least that's what I'd say after looking at the changeset:
> http://code.typo3.org/v4/changeset/2768

Well, the whole thing started as I was working on my "donations"
extension in 4.2, having only used in 4.1 until then. All markers that
had empty values stayed in the output, whereas they were "erased" or
replaced by their empty values in 4.1. I didn't do a precise analysis of
the code in 4.1 and in 4.2, but obviously the code in 4.2 was designed
to *not* remove markers that had empty replacement value and an
additional parameter was introduced to wipe out those unreplaced marker.

So it seems to me that if the 4.2 version of
tslib_cObj::substituteMarkerArray() is to behave like the old one, it
must be able to pass that 5th parameter to
t3lib_parsehtml::substituteMarkerArray(). If the default value of
$deleteUnused is false (as it is in my second patch), the behavior in
4.2.0 is unchanged and we get better backwards-compatibility with 4.1 in
4.2.1 (if that patch ever gets committed, that is).

Now what I would really like to know is why such a small, with
absolutely no unexpected or negative impact in its second version is
generating so much reticence. Why are we arguing so much on such a small
change? I must say I'm absolutely baffled. Please enlighten me!

Cheers

--

Francois Suter