[TYPO3-core] RFC: bugfix #6932 Unlike the default preview language, fields of additionalPreviewLanguages are shown if they are empty

Helmut Hummel typo3 at jhpc.de
Mon Jan 14 12:04:17 CET 2008

Hi Dmitry,

Dmitry Dulepov [typo3] schrieb:

> I am not sure how often you make multilingual web sites. Most of my
> sites are multilingual due to specifics of my country. I do not think it
> helps to have more than one flag.

Well I'm working in multilanguage environments, too. That's why I brang up these
issues.

> One flag shows the string that should be translated.
> One string to be translated. One, not two string to be
> compared. If there are two strings, translator may need to decide which
> one of them to use as source and result may be far from original.

Well in my special case I have a french translator, which cannot speak german
(default language) very well, so a reference to the english translation (if
available) is very helpfull for him.

> What
> if there are 8 languages? Will 8 flags be displayed? How do you imagine
> it on the screen?

But of course this is (like almost everything in TYPO3) configurable on a
user/group basis with additionalPreviewLanguages. So if you don't set this
variable, you don't see any additional flag at all!

The problem I want to fix occurs, when you set additionalPreviewLanguages, but
the fields in the record of this language does not contain anything. Then empty
fields with the flag are shown, which are of no use at all and crowds the screen
unnecessarily. Please compare the _before_ and _after_ screenshots more
precisely, to understand what the patch really does.

So I hope the description good enough now ;)

>> P.S. Dmitry, don't be so harsh to people who want to help =)
>
> Ingo, you are prejusted. Where exactly did I harsh at Helmut? I want the
> answer to this question and now I am harsh!!! What did I say wrong this
> time??? I am just trying to discuss the issue that affects translations
> because I know this very well. Should I shut up completely? Do you want
> this? I can!

We're all working here together for the good of TYPO3. And every single
developer and contributor has a different view on this project. This is no
weakness at all but the power of open source! So if one points out, that a
change is -1 in his view it should not taken as an insult, but as an invitation
to rethink the change.

So, as I already mentioned in my last post, I'm to offenced at all and happy to
work together with you all. (Besides in this very case even no -1 was given, but
it is only a misunderstanding, which really can happen)

So let's go to business again and release a great TYPO3 version 4.2 (with less
bugs, which is my small part of contribution)!

--
lib.salutation = TEXT
lib.salutation.value = Kind regards, Helmut