[TYPO3-core] RFC: #7059: Improve database performance for external database host

Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] ernst at cron-it.de
Wed Jan 2 10:34:59 CET 2008

Martin Kutschker wrote: on 02.01.2008 10:31:
> Dmitry Dulepov [typo3] schrieb:
>> Hi!
>>
>> Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] wrote:
>>> But the documentation in config_default should also mention that the
>>> performance gain will just be felt if huge result-sets needs to be
>>> carried over the mysql link, which is "usually" not the case on a
>>> regular web site.
>>
>> cache_pages html column will be compressed very well. Same goes for
>> tt_content text records if they got lots of text. And if there are
>> lots of requests, even 50% compression can make huge difference. So I
>> guess it will be useful for any more or less visited web site.
>
> But the compression/decompression will also take time/resources. So any
> admin will have to check his specific environment to see if this
> improves performance. Did anyone measure this overhead?

The original reference from Dmitry (blog entry) tested that a 100mbit
link is not enough for "indexing 600 MB of data over 100 Mbit link" and
in this situation the performance benefit was "visible" (50% performance
gain). I wonder if any TYPO3 site will be able to reproduce this kind of
scenario. But there might be crazy folks trying to setup mysql host over
the internet where the compression might be the only viable solution.

Cheers,
Ernesto