[TYPO3-core] RFC #7626: Date/time handling is completely broken in 4.2

Dmitry Dulepov [typo3] dmitry at typo3.org
Fri Feb 22 15:30:28 CET 2008

Hi!

Ingmar Schlecht wrote:
> most of the code you are removing with your patch is actually reverting
> half of Ernesto's patch #1697 committed to trunk some time during the
> 4.2 development phase, and must have unfortunately introduced the bug
> you were experiencing.
>
> We should just revert the first patch completely and then figure out the
> right solution for 4.3; better live with the same old bug all old TYPO3
> versions had than making a risky mix of old and new behaviour now, which
> potentially brings up even more bugs.

Firsts, I do not know how to revert a patch if there were commits after it. The code is already changed in those places. For example, Ernesto's TCEmain changes are not there. But even if they were there, existing code still will not work if server and user timezones are different.

I spent 8 hours debugging, checking and verifying and I am sure my patch makes TYPO3 work. I am trully sure of it now. Removing Ernesto patch will require manual work, while my patch is ready for applying now (before beta2).

I am sure we must either manually revert Ernesto's patch or apply mine ASAP because starttime/endtime and any time fields in tt_news/extensions cannot be used at all.

I would prefer to remove UTC handling from evelfunc/tbe_editor in any case. UTC functions should not be used to get local time due time value change by timezone offset. They are simply not ment for this purpose.

--
Dmitry Dulepov
TYPO3 core team