[TYPO3-core] RFC: #7573: Page properties: Make author and author_email visible instantly

Dmitry Dulepov [typo3] dmitry at typo3.org
Tue Feb 19 16:32:25 CET 2008

Hi!

Benjamin Mack wrote:
> Could you tell us a bit more about this? Maybe in the dev-list?

Well, I wrote several letters to different people about it yesterday and I feel exhausted with this topic... May be later this week.

To say it quickly:
- current GUI design is not made with HCI in mind (it ignores certain HCI concepts)
- current GUI has new paint over old wholes (for example, docheaders have buttons that do not correspond to current function or BE state)
- there is a lot of redundancy (several ways to switch to List module or do page actions)
- different parts of BE are not synchronised with each other (for example, switching to List module leaves left menu in the previous module)

I think it was necessary to design BE and review it (by Jens) before doing any work related to GUI. Nothing in UI should be touched without Jens approval (wasn't this the idea said sometime ago already?).

I do not want to say that all is bad. Sticky save buttons are good, page tree is fantastic. But BE is more confusing because it is changed and people try to see what all these functions do. And they find functions that do not fit to current working scenario. I wrote this example in one letter: you would not find "Audio options" in "Episode selection" on any DVD. Why? Because it does not belong there, it is different function. Why do we have List button in Web>Info? There is no connection between these two and it is even more confusing because people can just click in the left menu for List module... This is the only example of many small things that make a big bad thing in BE. This is what should be considered first: making clean, intuitive BE. Instead, I afraid, developers focused on adding technical innovations and forgot that people do not care much about how challenging it was for developer to make a function, they care about convenience of the function. And convenience,
I am sorry, is not there.

People, please, please, please, do not get offended!!! I appreciate all this hard work! But I think it went without proper supervision and therefore did not make expected result. There are a lot of new styles. But there is no "Clean BE". This is what frightens me. We got more and more things in GUI (tabs, columns, etc) but it is not becoming any less editor-oriented. It becomes a sport for programmers. This is what I afraid of.

How many of you create pages daily? What do you fill there? Think about it! Page title, keywords, may be abstract, design (if you use TV), start/end time. Now count how many extra clicks you have to make in the current BE with tabs. Is this called "convenient"? Is this good from HCI view? Just think about ~using~ it, not how cool it is to make another fancy tab!

Sorry if I still offend anyone. People, I really do not. But I am really care about it. Just like you do. We are al in one team, so we should get it all sorted...

--
Dmitry Dulepov
TYPO3 core team