[TYPO3-core] RFC: Bug #7388: CSS Gremlins

Benjamin Mack mack at xnos.org
Wed Feb 13 10:05:33 CET 2008

Hey Ingo,

sorry, this is not true. Attached is a screenshot before and after
applying the patch and thus, the ugly default styling comes back. This
behaviour is in IE + FF.

As much as I like pimping the BE so that it looks cool in FF + Safari,
we really should also focus on our main users. I mean: Sure, we can make
it so it looks nice in OUR browsers but my clients all use IE 6+7 and if
the BE does not work there anymore, they cannot use it anymore (and no,
they do not upgrade to another browser), so I think we should treat the
majority of our target group (probably around 60-70% with IE) at least
as much as our own wishes.

I know IE CSSing sucks, but we can't change all people using IE on our own.

Funny story: I had to install XWiki (Java-based wiki) for a client last
month. It turns out that there are three skins coming with the package
and no single one is soo stable that it looks good in IE and FF, which
is hard but not too hard to make. So the devs there did not care at all
how it looks in other browsers (they probably tested it with Mozilla 6
or so) and I had to write a new skin almost from scratch to make it work
for my client. To me it really is unprofessional having a good group of
devs delivering such a untested package. Anyway, I just don't want us to
grow in the same direction (I know we don't :)).

--
greetings,
benni.

www.xnos.de // www.xnos.org