[TYPO3-core] RFC: Make image hash names longer to avoid collisions

Karsten Dambekalns karsten at typo3.org
Fri May 18 10:39:48 CEST 2007

Hi.

On 18.05.2007, at 10:18, Andreas Otto wrote:
> Martin Kutschker wrote:
>> I never understood the logic of using truncated md5 hashes and argued
>> before to use only the real hashes.

I'm all for it.

> * Check DB layout: Where are short md5 hashes used?

Easy, I can do this. Extensions would probably break, though.

> * Check TYPO3core: Where are short md5 hashes used?

Doesn't matter that much, see below.

> * How to change existing code to make use of full-length md5
> hashes? What
> about backwards-compatibility?

Easy: Just change the default in shortMD5 from 10 to 32, all places
should work. The remaining ones should be easy to find. Again,
extension could break or at least still use short hashes.

Second possibility: Make shortMD5 always return full md5 hash,
ignoring the requested length. *Will* break some things. :)

Regards,
Karsten
--
Karsten Dambekalns