[TYPO3-core] RFC: Bug 689: Domain Record with umlaut Domains not working

Dmitry Dulepov 9f4eetb02 at sneakemail.com
Wed May 9 12:06:44 CEST 2007

Hi!

This is more RFC to core team than SVN patch request.

Branch: trunk

Problem: if user wants to include npn-ascii charactersto domain record,
this will not work. There are two reasons. Firsts, bug 5550 fixes record
corruption in this case. Secondly, if domain name includes non-ascii
characters, it should be translated to "punycode" (i.e.
"jürgen-müller.com" becomes "xn--jrgen-mller-thbg.com") and core will
not recognize such a change. Thirdly, core will not produce proper
domain names with such characters (it will use "jürgen-müller.com"
without encoding).

Solution: there is a well-known PHP library that can do conversion. It
does it mostly well, though it fails to convert domain names if they
contain characters like exclamation marks. But this is minor and there
is no other alternative anyway. Patch uses this library (in
typo3/contrib/) to (1) produce proper typolinks and (2) decode domain
names as necessary while getting domain name for page.

Possible problems can be: (1) with characters like exclamation marks but
here we can hope for library updates and (2) extensions that use domain
record (like realurl but I am in charge of it so no problem)

So users will enter normal domain name in the domain record
("jürgen-müller.com") and typo3 will do the rest: transform it as
necessary in typolinks and decode when user comes to page.

This patch does not process config.baseURL in anyway. I thought about
adding it but not sure if this should be done automatically.

Masi suggested to add user field to domain record to show punycode
version of domain name. It is good but I did not do it in this patch
because I am not sure where in the core such code can be placed.

First I would like to know if the patch has a chance to be approved at
all :)

So, what do you think?

--
Dmitry Dulepov