[TYPO3-core] RFC: Bug 5266 RTEhtmlarea is not loading in new Firefox 2.0.0.3

Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] ernst at cron-it.de
Fri Mar 30 09:13:58 CEST 2007

Michael Stucki wrote: on 29.03.2007 23:26:

>> My suggestion was to remove the "dev" from the rtehtmlarea Version in
>> the 4.1 branch (e.g. 1.5.2), as this is a stable branch and not a
>> development branch. "dev" should only be kept in trunk. This opportunity
>> would be ideal to change that in 4.1.x so that 4.1.1 ships with a
>> "stable" version number in rtehtmlarea.
>
> Hmm, this will once again add confusion if the version in TYPO3core is
> raised while in TER there is another version.
>
> What I would like to see is that the version number is <current+1>-dev until
> someone publishes this particular version in TER. Of course, he will have
> to remove the "-dev" in TYPO3core after that. And of course, the next
> developer who makes a change to that sysext in TYPO3core must raise the
> version and add the "-dev" once again.
>
> Would this be logical?

Ok, I didn't know that "dev" have some other meaning, which is to state
that this is a modified version of the original TER extension.

Maybe we could separate both variants (TER and in CORE) by giving them
separate extension names:

rtehtmlarea = TER with its versioning as before
rtehtmlarea-core = CORE with its own version numbers

The -core variant is just a fork from the original one with a complete
distinct versioning system. We could mark in ChangeLog "based on
rtehtmlarea vx.x.x" to specify when specific merging of functionality
from the TER version was applied to the core and also patches to the
-core variant can get into the TER version. But we can then maintain
them separately more easily.

Anyone would be able to change the -core version with a TER version
without any problems (if the TER version is available for the current
core version).

What do you think?

Cheers,
Ernesto