[TYPO3-core] [TYPO3-dev] MULTIMEDIA

Martin Kutschker martin.kutschker-n0spam at no5pam-blackbox.net
Sun Jun 3 11:37:03 CEST 2007

Patrick Broens schrieb:

>> As for using OBJECT and EMBED/APPLET: for xhtml 1.0 strict and xhtml
>> 1.1 no EMBED/APPLET should ever be created. For other DTDs I see the
>> option to use both elements or only EMBED/APPLET. The latter option is
>> for strict backward TYPO3 compatibility only. The TypoScript
>> compatibility flag will provide a default: a setting of < 4.2 will get
>> you EMBED/APPLET by default, otherwise its OBJECT. A site admin may
>> choose both elements by an appropriate TS configuration.
> We are already violating the W3C standards by using the EMBED/APPLET
> tags. So, in my opinion we should change it all to OBJECT/PARAM. The
> only compatibility thing there could be is that people used CSS to style
> their EMBED tags. Could there be more?

If you use the param fields your parameters were used as attributes of
EMBED. Then they will be used as PARAM tags with an OBJECT element. This
is not the same and may not have the same results.

>> PS: For a set of know mime types we could even create a flex form
>> sheet with additional parameters for well-known plugins (eg autostart,
>> show/hide UI, etc). But maybe such stuff is better suited in an
>> extension.
 >
> No need if you can extract the mime type from the file itself.

I think you don't understand. I was thinking of a mixed setup. The basic
setup would determine the mime type automatically.

But if you want to have control via a TCA/flexform in the BE, the form
must have some means to switch into the right mode, hence the type must
be entered. What could be done is to have the type detection done during
the first save (ie when the type field is empty).

Masi