[TYPO3-core] SVN F#%&up

Dmitry Dulepov dmitry at typo3.org
Thu Nov 30 11:10:02 CET 2006

Hi!

Kasper Skårhøj wrote:
> Now, why would I think this is a SVN problem and not a client problem?
> Well, mostly because my eclipse actually does checkout nicely all sorts
> of extensions and also large parts of the core without problem. But it
> chokes over seemingly random files and cases that should not be special.
> Error messages doesn't leave me much help. All searching on the web
> leaves answers like "Well, it works here" and no one else with a Mac
> seems to have the problem. Nobody can help, the errors are not clear and
> I'm incredibly confused that I cannot access my own core!

There is a generic rule: if it works for 99 clients and does not work
for 1, it is most likely a setup problem of that 1 client.

I believe it is a problem of Subclipse plugin because I had troubles
setting it up on one Linux and two Windows PCs but had absolutely no
problem with external (to Eclipse) SVN tools. Finally I sat and spent
time on reading the net, installing correct communication libraries for
Subclipse and it all went ok. Now I am happy. I think you need to do the
same.

SVN is much than CVS even for one reason: it allows simultaneous commits
of a single patch under one revision. This greatly simplifies tracking
changes. I really do not like the idea of moving back to old obsolete
system like CVS only because of setup problems on one client PC. I
understand that this PC is PC of the Boss (Kasper) ;) but still it is
better to set it up than to change the whole [working] thing again.

I admit that Subclipse is tricky to set up: sometimes it from beginning,
sometimes it requires reinstallations. But it is a third-party product
and has nothing to do with SVN itself. It the same like blaming the
whole CVS for WinCVS misbehaviour.

--
Dmitry Dulepov

Web: http://typo3bloke.net/