[TYPO3-core] CVS Problems

Dmitry Dulepov typo3 at accio.lv
Wed May 10 13:43:13 CEST 2006

Hi!

Andreas Otto wrote:
> Offering private servers also means that someone has to cover the costs for
> hardware and traffic.

Hardware - yes. Traffic - depends on the hosting provider. If I am
right, typo3 servers are now hosted in Germany. I do not know if
providers there charge for traffic.

>> + more stable than SF
> For how long?
> Please take into account for how long SF.net services have been running
> already.

These two things are not really related. In case of private server it
mostly depends on the administrator's qualification. For example, I
hosted a number of site on one server and they were failing most of the
time. I got tired, bought my own server (~$1500) and started to host
sites there. Server is running for two months with a good load without a
single restart. On the old server Apache and mysql had to be restarted
at least daily.

SF is running for a long time. But this says nothing about their
qualification. There work people and if you assume that long time
running means high qualification, than this assumption is wrong. When I
see that CVS fails once per month for a week, it means their
qualification is quite bad. If it happened in our company,
administrators will be fired very soon I think.

>> + no need to synchronize developer repository with anonymous repository
> This is a matter of how you setup permissions for the repositories.

It should be one repository with anonymous read-only access.

>> - needs one person to take care of it
> It needs more than one person to take care of it. What if the person
> responsible is on holiday or ill.

What if they all on holidays or ill? :)

Dmitry.