[TYPO3-core] RFC: Fix FE user login for DBAL

Martin Kutschker Martin.Kutschker at n0spam-blackbox.net
Wed Jun 28 14:43:27 CEST 2006

Dmitry Dulepov schrieb:
> Hi!
>
> Karsten Dambekalns wrote:
>
>> On Wednesday 28 June 2006 11:30, Dmitry Dulepov wrote:
>>
>>> Why and where do we need null columns?
>>

>> Basically for all fields not having a default in all databases other
>> than MySQL (because they have no implicit default value). In the
>> specially sucking case of Oracle we need null even for those having an
>> explicit default of '', as it is treated like null.
>

> I mean, when in typo3 we need NULL columns? Is there any code that
> inserts NULL or expects NULL in columns? If no, we can live with:
>
> int default 0
> varchar(xxx) default ''

This is what the patch partially does. It removes the NOT NULL part, but
doesn't add a standard DEFAULT.

I'm for using NOT NULL when possible *because* we don't need NULLs (NOT
NULLs are according to Mysql docs a bit faster) and DBAL can handle the
case of Oracle (If a column is NOT NULL, but has a DEFAULT of '' remove the
NOT NULL.).

If you think that my approach is too complicated (provide a standard
DEFAULT but keep NOT NULL), I ask for a standard DEFAULT to avoid NULLs in
the DB.

Masi