[TYPO3-core] RFC: Fix FE user login for DBAL

Karsten Dambekalns karsten at typo3.org
Wed Jun 28 10:21:15 CEST 2006

Hi.

On Wednesday 28 June 2006 09:54, Martin Kutschker wrote:
> But the real issue is that I cannot insert/update '' on a NOT NULL column
> in Oracle. *sigh* So NOT NULL and DEFAULT '' don't work together.

Exactly. If one searches the net for discussions about this issue, it's a
loooong task to read them. :) Almost everybody - but Oracle - seems to think
this is real BS. And as soon as you see the suggested "workarounds" for this,
such as using ' ' to indicate character data that "has been filled in but is
empty" and simply replace ' ' against '' after retrieving.... ah, well.

> If I understand you correctly, you think that NOT NULL is pointless anyway
> and so can go. I think that its has some merits and should be used when
> possible (has a DEFAULT in Mysql, has a non ''-DEFAULT in Oracle, etc).

If a field has a default, defining it NOT NULL *only* means that one cannot
explicitly insert NULL. Which we *never* do in TYPO3 or any extension I have
seen so far. The difference is non-existant for the current code.

> If TYPO3 breaks, then it is an error in the column/field definition (or the
> plain INSERT statement).

Yes, but I see no chance to change/fix this in 4.x It would mean rewriting
*every* INSERT/UPDATE to specify all NOT NULL columns that have no default.
Think about what we gain, and IMHO it is easy to drop that idea.

For 5.x and beyond this is a whole different story, we should have a nice DB
model, clean SQL everywhere and only very abstract access to all that from
custom code such as extensions. We can discuss almost anything for that
phase...

Karsten
--
Karsten Dambekalns