[TYPO3-core] Suggestion for 'CVSreadme.txt' to 'README-subversion.txt' conversion

Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] ernst at cron-it.de
Fri Jul 28 14:45:31 CEST 2006

Hi,

Peter Niederlag schrieb am 28.07.2006 11:31:

> since CVS is not used anymore I have renamed/modified the
> 'CVSreadme.txt' to 'README-subversion.txt' as provided as attachement.

Agreed! +1

> Pls have a look at it. If you prefer to have a diff I can of course
> provide this as well and will do anyway once we agree on the text. For
> now it seems to make more sense to me to have a clean text rather than a
> diff.

My comments bellow.

> P.S.: Should 'misc/core_cvs_rules.txt ' be renamed/updated as well?

Yes, but misc/core_rules.txt, because it tells a lot more than just CVS
stuff.

> P.S.II: IMO 'README-subversion.txt' could become part of the .tgx/.zip
> distributions in this way to promote using of development-versions.

I think the idea of this file was initially to provide people that check
out from CVS a quick guide on what needs to be done before starting
(links, db-update etc). So this made no sense if bundled with the
"releases". But as the text now is more generic, it might be bundled.

> ACCESSING THE TYPO3-SOURCES VIA SUBVERSION
>
> * The URL to TYPO3 subversion-service:
>     https://svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/typo3/
>     It contains the core-documentation in '' and the sources in 'TYPO3core'

In "CoreDocs" you mean.

> * organisation of sources in directory TYPO3core
>     * branches/*
>     * tags/*
>     * trunk/
>
>     trunk/ is used for the most recent stuff

Maybe add a "(previous "HEAD" from CVS)". I would also precise the "most
recent stuff" a bit more. E.g:

    trunk/ (previous "HEAD" from CVS) is where the new release is developed

>     tags/* is for singel versions (like 4.0.1rc1 etc.)

Maybe:

    tags/* is the snapshot of the state made when each new version is
released.

>     branches/* is used for developing single branches

Maybe:

    branches/* is used for developing single branches. Each branch
correspond to the development of a major TYPO3 version (3.8, 4.0, 4.1,
...) so that bugfixes can be applied to older versions. Minor releases
for older branches are possible (e.g. 4.0.2).

> * Linux, .... [subversion command-line-client]
>    svn checkout https://svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/typo3/TYPO3core/###TAG_OR_BRANCH_OR_TRUNK###/
>    (replace ###TAG_OR_BRANCH_OR_TRUNK### with the version you like to get)

The "branches" is missing in the path. Maybe better:

  For the trunk:

   svn checkout https://svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/typo3/TYPO3core/trunk/

  For a branch:

   svn checkout
https://svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/typo3/TYPO3core/branch/###BRANCH###
    (replace ###BRANCH### e.g. with TYPO3_4-0 for the 4.0 branch)

> There is defined a set of rules and conditions under which to commit to the core subversion-repository. These are found in "misc/core_cvs_rules.txt

Don't forget to change the reference to this filename if you change

Cheers,
Ernesto