[TYPO3-core] Another patch request for t3lib_htmlmail

Stanislas Rolland stanislas.rolland at fructifor.ca
Thu Jan 26 17:48:28 CET 2006

Hi Michael,
>>> 2. I don't like the hostname detection:
>>>
>>> -               $this->messageid = md5(microtime()).'@domain.tld';
>>> +               $localhost = gethostbyaddr('127.0.0.1');
>>> +               if (!$localhost || $localhost == '127.0.0.1' ||
>>> $localhost == 'localhost') $localhost = md5($TYPO3_CONF_VARS['SYS'
>>> ['sitename']).'.TYPO3';
>>> +               $this->innerMessageid = md5(microtime()) . '@' .
>>> $localhost;
>>>
>>> Please use the output of php_uname('n') instead.
>>>
>> What is wrong with the hostname detection? This has been tested on many
>> installations for many months now, I would be hesitant to change it at
>> this time.
>>

> Of course it will work because the value is most likely a unique one.
> However, you are not specifiying the true hostname of the mail server, but
> a custom string which is additionally md5sum()-ed at the end. Thus, the
> output is not self-explaining anymore.
>
> I don't have the RFC right here but think that the hostname part of a
> message-ID must be a valid host.

 From RFC 2822:

[...]

   The message identifier (msg-id) is similar in syntax to an angle-addr
   construct without the internal CFWS.

message-id      =       "Message-ID:" msg-id CRLF

in-reply-to     =       "In-Reply-To:" 1*msg-id CRLF

references      =       "References:" 1*msg-id CRLF

msg-id          =       [CFWS] "<" id-left "@" id-right ">" [CFWS]

id-left         =       dot-atom-text / no-fold-quote / obs-id-left

id-right        =       dot-atom-text / no-fold-literal / obs-id-right

   The "Message-ID:" field provides a unique message identifier that
   refers to a particular version of a particular message.  The
   uniqueness of the message identifier is guaranteed by the host that
   generates it (see below).  This message identifier is intended to be
   machine readable and not necessarily meaningful to humans.  A message
   identifier pertains to exactly one instantiation of a particular
   message; subsequent revisions to the message each receive new message
   identifiers.

[...]

4.5.4. Obsolete identification fields

[...]