[TYPO3-core] Another patch request for t3lib_htmlmail

Martin Kutschker Martin.Kutschker at blackbox.net
Thu Jan 26 14:46:32 CET 2006

Michael Stucki <michael at typo3.org> writes on
Thu, 26 Jan 2006 14:03:26 +0100 (MET):

> Hi Stanislas,
>

> >> 4. Line breaks: You are distincting between Windows servers where
> > > the
> >> linebreak is \r\n and all others that use \n. Are you sure this is
> > > a problem? Afaik, all systems are fine with the \n linebreak.
> >
> > This is a fix that was submitted to me by Masi and tested for many
> > months with sr_direct_mail_ext. It corrects problems experienced in
> > a> combination of Postfix and Outlook2003. Only after applying this
> > fix did
> > I stop receiving complaints about quoted-printable direct mails.
>
> I don't get the relation of Postfix (server-side) and Outlook2003
> (client
> side). Since you check if the server OS is Windows, what has
> Outlook2003 todo with it?

I have posted it on dev a long time ago. It has to do with the server OS and Outlook2003:

By definition you have to use local linefeed when you subit mails via sendmail (or Postfix) which is \n on Unix and used by mail() on Unix. But you have to use Internet line feed (always \r\n) when talking to a SMTP server directly which is what happens with mail() on Windows.

For some unknown reason Outlook2003 garbles the mail when you do it not as described. I think other clients simple ignore the extra linefeeds the unpatched TYPO3 produces, but Outlook2003 doesn't.

Masi