[TYPO3-core] RFC: Extend TypoScript values

Ingmar Schlecht ingmar at typo3.org
Wed Feb 22 13:23:23 CET 2006

Hey Stucki,

Michael Stucki wrote:
>>> TYPO3 offers some powerful preprocessor methods for modifying Typoscript
>>> properties _before_ they are passed to the parser. Superglobal directives
>>> can be applied to any Typoscript property but have a very limited
>>> functionality.
>> This is wrong. Those properties are actually processed *by* the parser,
>> and not *before* the parser.
>
> Right, but what do you suggest to write instead?
>
> This is my suggestion:
>
> TYPO3 offers some powerful methods for modifying Typoscript properties during
> the template compilation. Such "superglobal" directives can be applied to any
> Typoscript property but have a very limited functionality.

After thinking about this for some time, I actually think we should drop
the whole feature. I guess it would be too confusing for a lot of
TypoScript users to understand what the difference between parser-level
properties and interpreter-level properties are. I think it's already
pretty difficult to explain things like "You can use all stdWrap
properties for the TEXT content object as well, but you can't use it on
IMAGE, only on the .stdWrap subproperty of IMAGE cObjects" and so forth...

IMHO adding such superglobals would just increase confusion...

I would prefer something that is clearly distinguishable from normal TS
properties.

Maybe something like this:

<PARSER_INSTRUCTIONS>
  addToList(plugin.tx_myext_pi1.pidList, 15,37)
  appendString(plugin.tx_myext_pi1.logInMessage, "Regards, the staff")
</PARSER_INSTRUCTIONS>

cheers,
Ingmar