[TYPO3-core] RFC: Update Wizard

Sebastian Kurfuerst sebastian at garbage-group.de
Sun Dec 25 10:36:42 CET 2005

Hi,
Merry Christmas everyone :-)

This is a CVS patch request. It is quite big, but it would be good to
check it quickly as possible because I think it's important it gets into
beta1.

Problem:
Update wizard needed

Solution:
A new main section is added in the install tool called "Update Wizard".
Essentially, the wizard itself is a framework.
Every extension can register an "update class" which will be executed on
upgrade. Every update can consist of these steps:
1. Selection of which upgrade to perform, general information
2. User input
3. check of user input
4. perform upgrade

As we needed a compatibility version TS switch, I implemented the
upgrade class for the compatibility version change. The
ext_localconf.php, where the description about accessibility is written,
is just an example, this will be inserted in the correct place then
(css_styled_content).
The compatibility version change works as follows:
1. If a compatibility version was set beforehand:
     1. give some general information
     2. show all the things which need to be done manually to get
        compatible with the current version of TYPO3, every step  has to
        be accepted.
     3. update compatibility version to current version, effectively
        activating the features with it
     4. show the list of changes again, to make sure the user doesn't
        forget anything
2. If there is no compatibility version set:
     1. set it automatically to the current version to make sure further
        updates will work flawlessly
     2. there are two possibilities: fresh installation - in this case
        nothing needs to be done
     3. in case of an update, the user has the possibility to select the
        compatibility version, and so typo3 behaves as before.

the TS condition is already in place...
There are lots of help texts in place for the user, I hope this makes it
easier. If you have some suggestions to make them better, feel free.

Thanks for your feedback, I appreciate every comment!

It would be great if this could get to beta1 as the accessibility
changes depend on it! (Which should go to beta1 as well).

Greets, Sebastian