[TYPO3-team-core-v5] [Summary] Using Github for TYPO3.PackageBuilder

Robert Lemke robert at typo3.org
Wed Feb 13 10:34:26 CET 2013

Hi folks,

a short summary of an IRC chat with Rens Admiraal, replies go to the Neos list.

Rens is working on the new package builder which eventually can kickstart Flow packages, but also TYPO3 extensions or any other code base (Fluid templates, Symfony2 bundles). This project is partly funded by the TYPO3 Association.

The team working on that package has already been using Github for development during the last few months and is happy with the working mode. Two questions arose: which PHP namespace should be used eventually and which Github organization should host the repository?

For the time being, we decided to go for this solution:

1) the PHP namespace is "TYPO3.PackageBuilder" because

	- it will become an important part of both, TYPO3 and Flow
	- it is maintained by the core team(s) and funded by the TYPO3 Association, thus belongs to the "official" TYPO3 namespace

2) we use "TYPO3" as the Github organization and create a team "PackageBuilder"

Regarding 2), it's clear that we don't really use Github yet for the TYPO3 project, but we would like some packages as a pilot to see if Github can be potentially useful.

I have some ideas regarding which organizations and namespaces to use for which purpose and would like to discuss this in a broader group (but am mostly lacking time for it right now). Anyway – if you plan something Github related or have ideas regarding the namespaces, I'd be grateful if you kept me in the loop.

Cheers,
Robert

--
Robert Lemke
Lead Developer TYPO3 Neos and TYPO3 Flow

Blog: robertlemke.com/blog
Get involved: typo3.org – flow.typo3.org – neos.typo3.org