[Typo3-UG Russia] Ukraine server speeds?

Michael Shigorin mike at osdn.org.ua
Fri Aug 26 12:40:57 CEST 2005

On Fri, Aug 26, 2005 at 11:53:35AM +0200, Matthew Manderson wrote:
> > If your customer is in Ukrain, I think you should ask him to
> > check the speed. He will go through local networks only, it
> > can be much-much faster for him.
> Yes a local audience for the site.  They found it not fast.

You can point people at (shameless plug):

http://conference.osdn.org.ua/ ("static" pages) or
http://www.linux.kiev.ua/ ("dynamic" with logins, RSS and so on)

These are TYPO3 3.8.0 sites hosted on a system described here:
http://www.linux.kiev.ua/ru/devel/hosting/web/
-- it's P4 2.26GHz, 1Gb RAM, 2x120Gb IDE running ALT Linux 2.4
Master (i586-optimized, no custom-rebuilt software) with
MySQL 4.0.24 (tweaked a bit but not that much) and PHP 4.3.10
with MMcache 2.4.6.  I can send you the setup details -- they
may be a bit too much right here, especially as it's nothing
really spectacular.

This one is a sponsored hosting, so not applicable for commercial
clients; our company's site is running also 3.8.0 at the moment
on an AthlonXP 1700+/1Gb in a VPS, that one is commercially
available.  The site is mostly "static", again:

http://www.emt.com.ua/

I'd tell I prefer AMD systems for that, at least after similar
tweaking (Linux VM, MySQL, Apache) Duron 800/512M felt not that
much worse than P4/1G.  Troubling though, money-wise. :)

> But that is true of anyone comparing a dynamic TYPO3 page to a
> static page. The client needs to do the language translations
> and so I will work on the MySQL tweaks and the acceleration to
> help them.

Yeah, running with my.cnf based on my-medium or my-large is
vastly better experience than with the moderate default config.
Fixing block device throughput helps too although it's up to the
host's administrator.

> For me, I think I will end up developing it locally, and upload
> it after.  A real challenge!

Hm, I did so.  Doable although you may have to pay additional
attention to the use of gd2-based stuff -- the previous hosting
we were using for EMT was FreeBSD4-based and they happen to have
known-broken libgd2 (I've tracked the problem down to where the
segfaults occured, then asked a FreeBSD commiter friend of mine
and he explained "it was so").  So we dropped graphical menus
in favour of TMENU.

UTF-8 support may also depend on a system although I remember
no particular problems there as the experiments were short,
we're quite happy with 8-bit.

--
 ---- WBR, Michael Shigorin <mike at altlinux.ru>