[Typo3-UG Russia] Ukraine server speeds?

Dmitry Dulepov typo3 at fm-world.ru
Fri Aug 26 11:13:11 CEST 2005

Hi!

Matthew Manderson wrote:
> POS4-3.BR1.LND9.ALTER.NET

Well, this is one of the slow networks. I lived in Russia a couple of
years ago. When traffic was routed through ALTER.NET, I knew it will be
slow. Another slow one was sprint.net I think...

> 143.367ms * * its-gw.kiev.ucomline.net

Did not like this one... Two attempts out of three timed out on one
Ukranian router.

> I am based in Malta, my ping to UA is giving me around 100-120ms and a ping
> to UK is coming back 70-75ms
>
> There is a slight delay but the speeds seem fine to me. What do you think?

Ping usually sends small packets (same as tracert). Now imagine that you
try to retrieve a large page with many pictures.

Internet Explorer (89% of people use it) will not display page until it
is loaded completely. It will open only two connections to server by
default. Firsts, it will retrieve a page loosing packets from time to
time on its-gw.kiev.ucomline.net, than it will fetch all images...
Surely it will take a lot of time.

You said that enabling compression increased speed. This fits. Server
was loaded more than before due to compression needs but it had to send
less data. Less data sent - less data lost in the middle, faster
delivered, faster displayed. Everything fits.

If your customer is in Ukrain, I think you should ask him to check the
speed. He will go through local networks only, it can be much-much
faster for him.

Dmitry.