[TYPO3-project-waf] More restrictive rulesets

Ben Wardle info-nospam at netefficiency.co.uk
Sat Oct 11 10:45:09 CEST 2008

Hi list,

I heard about this project at yesterday's security talk at T3CON8, and
thought I'd say hello.

We use a much more restrictive mod_security default ruleset for our servers,
based on a combination of rules from Mod Security and
http://www.gotroot.com/ These rules also deal with a number of issues
relating to spam, and some image bandwith theft.

We then use a very narrowly defined set of exceptions to allow as little as
possible through (the essentials). If anyone else is interested in this
approach, I'd be happy to share some advice and ideas.

After using this system for a few months we're looking at additional steps
such as adding certain IPs to our firewall drop rules when certain attacks
are detected.

All the best from sunny Berlin,

Ben.