[TYPO3-v4] colorschemes (formerly TBE_STYLES) lost on tt_content?

christian oettinger christian.oettinger at gmx.de
Fri Apr 5 15:51:50 CEST 2013

Hi all,

Maybe (probably) I am much too late, but eventually I'd like to re-open
discussion about a seemingly lost feature.

In former TYPO3-versions there has been a sort of out-of-the-box
categorization of fields, that could be used to style them. I have
written a very simple extension (oecolorscheme) to make use of this
feature and my clients like it a lot.
The idea of that categorization was rather not "different styles for
different field types" but "one style for all fields having one
purpose". The latter makes a lot of sense: e.g. all fields dealing with
images are orange: images, click enlarge, image link then form a visual
block. This is usability it in it's purest form. It is a lot easier for
people to distinguish and intuitively understand. So I am rather
schocked, that this seems to have vanished. (We should no forget that in
the end we set do not set up pages for TYPO§ Developers but for very
normal people, people with no special affinity to computers, that will
have to use TYPO3 Backend.).

I am with you that many people did not use this feature – but probably
you are wiht me that there are countless badly done Backends out there.
And this is one reason where the reputation of TYPO3 to be complicated
comes from.

Now to my questions:
- The former approach of TYPO3 to style the fields seem to be completely
gone for tt_content since TYPO3 4.4 (while it still can be used in own
extensions e.g.). If I am right (just starting to dig in) this is not a
question of new skinning API but of TCA "types" definitions of
tt_content. Is that correct? Or do I just not understand something?
- If figured out a nice way, would there be interest of re-integrating
this feature to sysext "cms"? I personally am very interested in this
for all my Backends have lost a nice feature.

Thanks a lot for feedback
christian (dasoe)