[TYPO3-v4] Extension Mangager Issues (reloaded)

Helmut Hummel helmut.hummel at typo3.org
Sat Sep 24 16:51:22 CEST 2011

Hi,

I was a bit surprised by the fact, that the old extension manager
modules have been disabled for the latest beta release[1].

Especially because a similar patch request has been voted down not too
long ago[2].

 From a developer perspective I understand this decision as it makes
more people aware of the new EM by forcing to use it and thus getting
the bugs fixed there.

 From a user perspective this is a no go, at least when the current
state[3] will be shipped with RC1.

Because of that, I went through all!! reported issues with the category
set to "Extension Manager", closed some old ones, moved some to other
categories and most importatly set the target version of all issues that
are related to the new EM but worked in the old EM to 4.6.0-RC1.[3]

All of these (15 currently) I consider as a blocker for shipping 4.6.0
with the old EM being deprecated and the only possibility to turn it on
by adding a non documented configuration[4] to localconf.php

Don't get me wrong. I'd love to see a completely working and polished
new EM in 4.6.0, but I fear we do not have the manpower to do so.
15 issues might not sound to be very much, but I bet there are more
(currently unreported bugs) and some of them require quite some work.

Kind regards,
Helmut

[1]https://review.typo3.org/5057
[2]https://review.typo3.org/2502
[3]http://forge.typo3.org/projects/typo3v4-core/issues?query_id=250
[4]$GLOBALS['TYPO3_CONF_VARS']['EXT']['showOldModules'] = true;
--
Helmut Hummel
TYPO3 Security Team Leader, TYPO3 v4 Core Team Member

TYPO3 .... inspiring people to share!
Get involved: typo3.org