[TYPO3-v4] Improving backend search for 4.4 and 4.5

Dmitry Dulepov dmitry.dulepov at gmail.com
Tue Sep 20 12:45:12 CEST 2011

Hi!

Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] wrote:
> To make it less intrusive, you could change the backported patch to only
> look at "searchField" in "ctrl" if this key is defined, else go through
> all text fields (as usual), so that at least the same content will be found.

But that would make search slow again. This what the original patch tries
to avoid. One solution is to implement full search for 'tx_' tables only.
But than there is another problem: how do we exclude certain extension
tables from search?

> As for the backporting procedure:
>
> As discussed today in our release team meeting, we would love to see
> this improvement also in 4.5 (as it is basically a scalability /
> performance improvement), but would like to wait until at least 4.6.0 is
> "out" and this feature has proven to work great. I know you have had
> this patch working for some time now in your environment, but having a
> bigger audience testing it will be nice.

Sounds good!

> For the mean-time, I propose that you proceed as you suggested: Post the
> patch for 4.5 either in your sandbox (which is public and goes without
> review system) or publish it as a review to the 4.5 branch, but abandon
> the change right away (or -1 or -2 it). 2-3 months after 4.6.0 is out,
> we re-visit it, maybe rebase the patch to the current 4.5 state and have
> it included in 4.5.X.
>
> We won't include it in 4.4 thou, so for these installations, please
> consider providing the patch through some other means (through your git
> sandbox for example).

I do not have a git sandbox. How can that be created?

--
Dmitry "itoldyou" Dulepov
TYPO3 core&security team member
E-mail: dmitry.dulepov at typo3.org