[TYPO3-v4] Using t3lib_div::getUrl() also for xml.gz files from Extension Manager?

Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] ernst at cron-it.de
Mon Sep 19 10:57:39 CEST 2011

Dmitry Dulepov schrieb am 19.09.2011 10:49:
> Hi!
>
> François Suter wrote:
>> I would thus like to propose using t3lib_div::getUrl(). I think it's
>> also cleaner that we stick to using the TYPO3 API across the board.
>
> Absolutely. There are environments that require proxies. Reading
> anything without proxy would fail.
>
> These news are surprising :(

I also first thought that it would be a problem with proxies, but there
isn't. The file itself is fetched from the remote server via
t3lib_div::getUrl (in tx_em_repository_Utility::fetchFile).

It's just the later processing of the *local* xml.z file that is making
troubles for Francois, because the current method makes
XMLReader::open() on a "compress.zlib://.../typo3temp/extensions.xml.Z"
file, while Francois proposes to make a $xmlContent = t3lib::getUrl() on
that first, and *then* pass the (uncompressed) xmlContent to XMLReader.

I have nothing against this, but it might be that it takes more memory
to do so, which should be considered (the uncompressed extensions.xml is
about 24M in size).