[TYPO3-v4] Dropping the compat_version

Stefan Neufeind typo3.neufeind at speedpartner.de
Sun Oct 23 21:15:09 CEST 2011

On 10/23/2011 08:40 PM, Steffen Gebert wrote:
> Hi,
>
> what do you think of dropping the compat_version setting?
>
> Does it make sense anywhere to behave like the such a beloved $MS
> product, which imitates to be its predecessor?
>
> At least I would say that we do not care about this setting since ages,
> so I think we should remove it for *4.7*. (without deprecation).
>
> (as we just stumbled over a bug which was caused by a misunderstanding
> of the compat_version setting).
>
> Looking forward to your feedback!

If it doesn't really make sense / make much of a difference, then I
agree we could drop it to avoid confusion. It's not feasible to be "much
backward-compatible" and also you can't fully test it all. Why would
somebody upgrading the core want it to be "just like the old version"
anyway.

Regards,
 Stefan