[TYPO3-v4] GIT, Gerrit, CI, ...

Kay Strobach typo3 at kay-strobach.de
Sat May 21 07:50:56 CEST 2011

Hello Core Team,

knowing that the following tasks take some time to complete i just wanna
tell you what some customers / friends working with TYPO3 told me
regarding the change to git.

Most of them didn't understand the move from SVN to GIT ;)
Some of them where afraid.

I found the resources on [1] ok to get a first impression of the new
infrastructure, but others not.

So my current suggestion is to make a 10 to 20 minute podcast, which
shows the most important parts of the new infrastructure - most people
like to view a short video more than reading a 100 pages book about GIT.

Content could be:
 - What have been changed and why (presentation)
 - Get the current source
 - Update to the latest revision
 - Check in some files
 - Check out a patch from Gerrit
 - Vote on Gerrit
 - How do all the systems work hand in hand and make life easier

This video can be placed on typo3.org directly for 3-4 weeks ;)

It would be also nice, if there would be a link to every related checkin
in the according forge issue.

The next step should be to allow extension authors to switch from svn to
git on forge too. This way we just need one version control system.

Hope that helps you get some more community based feedback and more
usefull checkins.

Regards
Kay

[1] http://wiki.typo3.org/Git