[TYPO3-v4] feedback on configurable cookie names

Christian Jul Jensen julle at typo3.org
Thu May 19 15:03:06 CEST 2011

Hi.

I am implementing support for configurable cookienames to fix some
issues with clashing cookies between installations on same domain.
http://forge.typo3.org/issues/23872

I have it basically working but have run into a problem:

The presence of a backend cookie in the frontend is used to determine
whether or not to enable the timetrack or to use a stub.

This happens before the inclusion of the configurations as the
timetracker is used to track the time of the inclusion of these.

Now that I have moved the BE cookie name to be a configuration it is no
longer possible to use this as a flag to indicate whether or not to
enable timetracking at that point.

I've played around with different ideas, but are not really happy with
any of them, so I'd appreciate some feedback on this.

a) Do not start the timetracking until after the inclusion of
configurations.
* cons: the inclusion is not measured

b) Initalize timetracking always, but abort it once we know a BE-user is
not present
* cons: I guess most of the time gained by having a stub could be lost
doing this, but I am not sure.

c) use some other flag to indicate whether or not to timetrack. AFAIK
timetracking is only used by the adminPanel and the config.debig option
and so it is kind of silly anyway to initialize everytime a BE-user is
logged in.
* Problems: Which flag to use? How to make sure it is available at the
time needed. It would be possible to have the admPanel set a seperate
cookie, but this would happen after timetracking is initialized so it
would not be available on the first request, which might lead to some
confusion.

--
Christian Jul Jensen
julle at typo3.org

TYPO3 Evangelist
Member of the TYPO3 Association Steering Committee