[TYPO3-v4] Discouraging or deprecating PHP_SCRIPT cObject?

François Suter fsu-lists at cobweb.ch
Tue May 10 21:52:38 CEST 2011

Hi Ernesto,

After some delay, I'm picking up this topic again.

> The PHP_SCRIPT_EXT has the sex appeal of being extremely fast. If you
> need some PHP calculation that doesn't require any further TYPO3
> framework, you get fastest results with it (e.g. displaying the current
> date) =>  we should keep it!

I really think we should deprecated this too and get rid of this whole
family of object. I wonder if anyone uses PHP_SCRIPT_EXT for really
serious stuff. I think anything serious would be done with other means,
with a plugin, with some JS and an AJAX call or whatever. PHP_SCRIPT_EXT
may be fast, but it's dirty IMO.

> PHP_SCRIPT_INT will load the whole TSFE for you (because you will be
> inside a cObject, requiring the TypoScript etc in place), causing it to
> be as slow as any other USER_INT  =>  so deprecate it, recommend using
> USER_INT instead.
>
> PHP_SCRIPT is like a bad-designed USER object =>  deprecate it too.

I think for now I'll add notes in the TSref, that this family of objects
shouldn't be used anymore, then try and find the time to write a patch
for deprecating them in 4.6.

Francois Suter