[TYPO3-v4] Git/Gerrit workflow, commit messages

Jigal van Hemert jigal at xs4all.nl
Sun Mar 20 23:33:24 CET 2011

Hi,

On 20-3-2011 19:26, Helmut Hummel wrote:
> Is this a commit message style we're aiming for?
> I personally do not like such lengthy commit message, but would not mind
> if everyone agrees this is the way to go.
>
> But I'm still not sure if this is the case.

The description is a "bit" long, but it contains quite a lot of useful
information about reproducing the problem, etc.

Others have suggested to put the 'extra' information either in the
bugtracker (where hardly anyone will see it) or in a comment (= a review
with '0' votes)

One advantage of complete RFC posts was that in one place you had the
description of the problem, the solution, how to reproduce/test and the
patch itself.

Without knowing what exactly is shown where and how readable it remains
after a patch is voted in, it's hard to judge the amount and format of
information that should go in the commit message / comment / etc.

There are already some guidelines about line length, etc. but some good
suggestions from some git experts would be nice.

--
Kind regards / met vriendelijke groet,

Jigal van Hemert.