[TYPO3-v4] Moving from UTF-8 as default to UTF-8 only in 4.6?

Xavier Perseguers xavier.perseguers at typo3.org
Sat Mar 19 18:16:00 CET 2011

Hi,

>> I also agree with Xavier that utf-8 support for various databases should
>> be investigated.
>
> In general I agree. I hope my assumtion, that all serious DBMS have
> native UTF-8 support is true...
>
> uh... MSSQL uses UCS-2:

Exactly ;)

> Well the option then would be to encode/ decode it while storing/
> fetching data or use the driver of Microsoft if it works, since it is
> advertised to tranparently convert form and to UTF-8:
> http://www.php.net/manual/de/book.mssql.php#93003

I tried to use it as I was in Seattle, late 2010, but there are two
problems:

- Not supported by ADOdb, could be added but requires time and energy
but I definitively would love having it supported
- Unfortunately the driver is provided as .dll, not .so meaning it is
only compatible with Windows-based web servers. You could argue that
when someone is willing to use MSSQL he is using either Apache or IIS on
a Windows server anyway but it isn't true, I personally have a project
where I access a MSSQL DB from a Linux Debian web server. Of course the
DB runs on a Windows server but not the web server itself

--
Xavier Perseguers
Release Manager TYPO3 4.6