[TYPO3-v4] Question about Git branches

François Suter fsu-lists at cobweb.ch
Thu Mar 17 16:02:11 CET 2011

Hi Peter,

> Git source distribution provides a script/utility "git-new-workdir" that
> will take care of all of this symlinking,
> http://nuclearsquid.com/writings/git-new-workdir.html.
>
> I'd rather suggest to get/use "git-new-workdir" as I think it lowers the
> risk of doing something wrong.

Thanks for the tip, it worked beautifully. I got the script from:

http://git.kernel.org/?p=git/git.git;a=blob_plain;f=contrib/workdir/git-new-workdir;hb=HEAD

and just copied and pasted it in some appropriate place in my system.

I then just ran something like:

$ git-new-workdir Core TYPO3_4-5 TYPO3_4-5

where "Core" is my original clone, the first "TYPO3_4-5" is a new folder
where I now have a checkout of the "TYPO3_4-5" (the second one) branch.

$ git fetch --all

in TYPO3_4-5, fetched for all copies, as expected.

I'll add these instructions in the wiki.

Francois Suter