[TYPO3-v4] TYPO3 4.6 Ideas: Landing page in BE and Help

Xavier Perseguers xavier.perseguers at typo3.org
Thu Mar 17 13:52:36 CET 2011

Hi,

I'd like to start a few topics about ideas for TYPO3 4.6. Goal is to
discuss them and see whether

1) Idea is OK and feasible in the 4.6 time frame
2) Someone/some group is willing to work on that

Concept of landing page in BE.

First of all, what I am about to discuss should of course be confirmed
by T3A that this is allowed or the UX team that concept is OK.

Currently users are allowed to set their startup page as either some
module or (these are modules too but still), the "About Module" from
Help section as landing page when they log into the backend.

I don't want to discuss the reordering of information, this is another
issue. Basically what I suggest ultimately is this:

1) Have some dashboard as landing page, this should still be
configurable in order to let a user who wants to go to Web > Page have
the opportunity to do so

2) Get rid of the Help section and move it into some "?" icon in the
toolbar with a menu showing help modules (TypoScript, custom module, ...)

3) Now, where should this dashboard page be referenced into the left
menu to be able, once in Web > Page or whatever to go back to this
startup landing page without having to log off/log in again? Easy! We
don't have to have an entry for that (who wants is Web menu to be even
more cluttered?) The TYPO3 logo top left should be used as in any
standard website to go back to the "homepage".

Currently it redirects you to typo3.com. After Relaunch week this will
be typo3.org AFAIK. But is this really useful? I mean you are in your
backend, you want to work, you don't want to go to the TYPO3 website or
being advertised that TYPO3 is the best CMS, you already know that as
you are using it! Instead it would be so convenient to go back to your
dashboard (not your landing page that may be Web > Page and would not
make sense to have linked there).

Does it make sense?

--
Xavier Perseguers