[TYPO3-v4] Git/Gerrit workflow, commit messages

Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] ernst at cron-it.de
Wed Mar 16 10:15:45 CET 2011

Helmut Hummel schrieb am 16.03.2011 08:31:
> Hi,
>
> On 16.03.11 08:19, Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] wrote:
>
>> The whole information about the issue, how to reproduce it etc is
>> content to be placed in the ISSUE TRACKER and not in the commit
>> messages. So to understand an issue you must open the issue tracker. The
>> author of a patch *must* update the information of the issue so that a
>> reviewer can have a very quick introduction to the topic.
>
> OK, that makes sense. Reading some of the current commit messages, this
> is not the case.
>
>> Maybe this has to be documented or emphasized,
>
> Absolutely!
>
>> because I think the issue
>> tracker will be the most important place where discussion about a bug
>> takes place, and people using the new reviewing system should be aware
>> of it.
>
> Maybe it's no real issue, but I always found discussing in the
> bugtracker to be very unpleasant.
>
> Maybe I (we) must get used to it...

True.

Important is that the person who submits the bug fix to gerrit makes
sure to UPDATE the issue description to make it clear what the bug is
(and steps to reproduce, etc). So that the reviewer doesn't need to read
through the whole discussion but can concentrate on the issue
description (which replaces the information that we used to have in our
RFC mails).

To be able to have it complete, we might want to change the fields or
add some more fields to be filled in. But this should wait until we move
to Forge, so that we can concentrate on the features we have there (or
the lack of them...).