[TYPO3-v4] Question about Git branches

Xavier Perseguers xavier.perseguers at typo3.org
Wed Mar 16 08:10:45 CET 2011

Hi François,

>> 2) I understand that Git branches are not "physical" like SVN branches.
>> What do I need to do to fix/replace my symlink setup?
>
> Has anyone made further experiments on the subject? How are you dealing
> with having to run several TYPO3 versions (i.e. based on various
> branches of the same repo) at the same time?

So far I did something really obvious but that seems to work properly:

$ git clone git://git.typo3.org/TYPO3v4/Core.git TYPO3_master

Prepare other branches

$ cd TYPO3_master
$ git checkout -b TYPO3_4-5 remotes/origin/TYPO3_4-5
$ git checkout -b TYPO3_4-4 remotes/origin/TYPO3_4-4
$ git checkout master
$ cd ..

Sharing the directory

$ mv TYPO3_master/.git/objects TYPO3-shared-objects
$ cd TYPO3_master/.git
$ ln -s ../../TYPO3-shared-objects objects

Preparing other branches (e.g. 4-5)

$ cp -rp TYPO3_master TYPO3_4-5
$ cd TYPO3_4-5
$ git checkout TYPO3_4-5

I hope I wrote all correctly because I did it from what I have in mind.

--
Xavier Perseguers
Release Manager TYPO3 4.6