[TYPO3-v4] Git: what to do when a branch "diverges"?

François Suter fsu-lists at cobweb.ch
Tue Mar 8 09:08:04 CET 2011

Hi,

As I'm taking hesitant first steps with Git/Gerrit, I'm lagging a bit
behind and am now in a situation where I don't know what to do:

I have a local branch, in which I committed a fix for bug #17815. But
time has passed in the meantime and origin/master has evolved. When I do
a "git status" now, I get the following:

> # On branch issue_17815
> # Your branch and 'origin/master' have diverged,
> # and have 1 and 11 different commit(s) each, respectively.
> #
> nothing to commit (working directory clean)

Can I go ahead and push or should I do something else first (like rebasing)?

Francois Suter