[TYPO3-v4] Core projects merge via subtree merge?

Tolleiv.Nietsch info at tolleiv.de
Mon Mar 7 16:09:19 CET 2011

Hi,

Am 07.03.2011 10:32, schrieb Ernesto Baschny [cron IT]:

> So maybe we should do it for bug fixes (older branches) and only squash
> commits into one if there was really a huge new feature being
> implemented which has to "enter the core" (in which case one huge
> squashed commit should be fine).
>
> What do you think?

Well I think we can't do both at the same time ;) Of course someone
could go through the history and do this by hand before the merge, but
he might still "loose" some commits which would cause lot's of
confusion. Besides that we still end up doing double reviews for all
bugfix commits.

For the next 4.5.x releases I tend to squash everything into a single
commit just to avoid confusion and also because this is how we handled
it in the past with SVN.

For 4.6.x releases I'd personally prefer to having something which does
this automatically without squashing. This could happen on a regular
occasion (sunday night) or we could merge the subproject into the Core
once the subproject get's a new tag (which ensures that the teams have
the control).

Cheers,
Tolleiv
--