[TYPO3-v4] Change of Module switching behaviour in 4.6 (perhaps backport to 4.6) - Speedup Backend with Cardlayout

Kay Strobach typo3 at kay-strobach.de
Sun Jul 24 18:08:54 CEST 2011

Hello guys,

based on 2 discussions started in February i pushed a patch to gerrit
[1] to speed up the switching of the backend a bit. This patch has a
small side effect: it changes the behaviour of the module menu.

You may also want to read the older articles about the cardlayout: [2][3]

First of all i will start with current master aka 4.5. be architecture.

> Currently there is a viewport which is like this one:
>
> +-----+-----+----------------+
> |                            |
> +-----+-----+----------------+
> |     |     |                |
> |  1  |  2  |       3        |
> |     |     |                |
> +-----+-----+----------------+
>
> The area 2 (pagetree, directory tree, ...) is hidden if the
> module doesn't need it - good.
>
> But any module in 3 is loaded as normal html page.

The idea of the patch is to modify field 3 to ensure, that modern extjs
based backend modules are not loaded again and again and again on every
module switch.
This modules can be imagined as: (em, recycler, powermail, sitemgr,
piwikintegration, ...) on

So how could this achieved:
Currently 3 is an so called iframepanel with a single iframe [7].
We change 3 to a normal panel, with layout:card [8], which first child
is the old style iframe panel.

Additionally we add an extra panel for each module (automatically).
These panels are rendered as cards.

So 3 consists of n different card-panel for every BE Module.

If you need to change from one card to another, there is no need to
reload the panel, as long as you do not change the page in the pagetree.

This way all the cards save their state if sensefull.

That means, that switching from listmodule back to pagemodule may show
you the previously edited form and not the overview page of the selected
page.

To keep it simple to reload the module, you may click on the modulemenu
again to force a reload.

Now back to the greatest positive effect:
ExtJS Modules are loaded with the Backend, that means, the may only need
time to reload their stores, but they won't need time to reload the
complete module. As more and more modules are done in extjs this should
be the way to go in my eyes.

You may also take a look in the issue on forge [4] or in gerrit [1].