[TYPO3-v4] New vs "Old" Extension Manager

Patrick Rodacker patrick.rodacker at the-reflection.de
Fri Jul 15 20:19:02 CEST 2011

Hi Steffen,

Am 12.07.11 21:37, schrieb Steffen Kamper:

> please stay with the current featureset and don't discuss new features.
> Sure, zip would be nice, but has nothing to do with old/new EM

I think for 4.6 it is important to strip down to "how to achieve what
until 2nd of August". New Features should go into 4.7 but should be kept
in mind for 4.6. So +1 from my side.

> I would like to fix the last bugs if there is support with reviews, but
> i'm also fine if most want old EM back, then i would go using an
> extension for the new one. Anyways, new one is part of LTS and need the
> support for the next 3 years, which was in my mind while coding it.

LTS is the keyword for me, why we should stay with the new em, but if I
understood Xavier correctly, the new em still has some dependencies on
the old em code, so I would opt for the following process:

- new em hast to work without old em, therefore resolve code
dependencies, etc.
- move old em to an extension (e.g. em_classic) in TER
- fix open bugs / blockers in new em

For 4.7 new features and tasks could be faced e.g. like

- evaluate and improve UI and performance
- zip support for uploading / importing extension
- move package management API into core so it could be used from outside
the em (install tool, cli, etc.)

Just my thoughts on this issue ;-)
Patrick