[TYPO3-v4] TYPO3 4.6 --rebase: pending new features

Christian Kuhn lolli at schwarzbu.ch
Thu Jul 14 22:47:43 CEST 2011

Hey,

some more statements on the mentioned issues.

On 07/14/2011 02:13 PM, Xavier Perseguers wrote:
> - [25836]: Monitor peak memory usage

I did read but neither check nor test this one. I think Jigal should
push it further and look for a core dev for review to get it in. It
might be a cool feature but it should be solid.

> - [25338]: Provide maintenance scheduler tasks (DB optimization, ...)

Actually we already have at least two new tasks for 4.6 (the table
garbage collection and the fileadmin recycler thing). I'd like to have
more tasks as well, especially for lowlevel things, but I won't have
time to do it myself. I might be able to review a new task and I guess
Francois would step in as well if someone comes up with good patches.

> - [25337]: Add PHP 5.3 namespace support (was proposed as well as part
> of "init.php refactoring" workshop during T3DD11)

I've seen some code for this during t3dd11, my feeling is that we will
not be able to get a really well working solution until FF, there are
tons of things that could possibly go wrong that must be taken care of
carefully.

I'll personally spend my time on these things (all caching related):
- A patch for db backend to choose a different db engine (eg. HEAP
instead of InnoDB). This is a nice idea by Dmitry. There is no code
until now but it is probably not that complicated to do.
- A patch to change the db backend to use a real mm-table between data
and tags. Michael Staatz did some work on it, there is already some code
and we need to stabilize it. This feature is important if we actually
start to use tagging a lot in the core.
- A feature to use cache invalidation for the 'reference' content
elements in the core. This could be a show-off of how tagging can be
used and how nice invalidation could be done. There is no code yet and I
fear a patch for this will not be ready before feature freeze if not
someone with existing knowledge steps in.
- Patch to move the db backend table creation to the install compare
wizard (and em db compare). This one is important, but it *could* be
done as a bugfix after feature freeze. I'd be in favor of solving it
before FF. There was already a pre-patch (to reduce complexity and
dependencies), but there is no code to solve the real problem, yet.
- A new hybrid cache backend for 4.6: This would be a really cool
feature, it can solve the current memcache, apc and filebackend issues.
I do have a draft for this (non working code, just to see how potential
code could look like). A patch must go to flow3 first (I'm in contact
with Robert) and be backported to v4 then. I think we must spend at
least two days to get a working version. This is my next main topic on
the agenda, I wanna have it.

There is also this very cool refactoring of the install tool, driven by
Benni. This would be really great to get it in and I'd love to review
the code if he is able to push it before feature freeze. I'm sure some
other devs would step in, at least for reviews and patch-for-a-patch, too.

Regards
Christian