[TYPO3-v4] Minutes of the 13 meeting of the 4.6 Release Team

Xavier Perseguers xavier at typo3.org
Wed Jul 13 11:03:10 CEST 2011

Hi dear TYPO3 community,

Here are the notes of the 13th meeting of the 4.6 Release Team.

The minutes are also available in the wiki of TYPO3 4.6:
http://forge.typo3.org/projects/typo3v46-projects/wiki/2011-07-11_-_Minutes_from_the_13th_meeting

On Monday, July 11th 2011 we held our 13th meeting with the following
participants:

* Xavier Perseguers (4.6 Release Manager)
* Oliver Hader (Core Team Leader)
* Ernesto Baschny (4.5 Release Manager)
* Steffen Kamper (4.5 Technical Leader)
* Benjamin Mack (4.4 Release Manager)

Topics
============================

T3DD11 is over and we all enjoyed it very much. A lot of very
interesting topics were discussed and a tremendous work was done on
reviews and finalizing new features. The few people not yet accustomed
to Git and Gerrit have had the opportunity to participate to ad-hoc
workshops helping them to set up their development environment.

Form project
----------------------------

During the Core team meeting, last week, I discussed possible inclusion
of this project into alpha3 but Patrick preferred to postpone it right
after the release. As such, inclusion should hopefully be done this
week. The demo we had was very appreciated and we all long for it.

Steffen reported that he did some tests on master a while ago but did
not review the code. He enjoyed it and only had problems with TYPO3.lang
(JavaScript part). This issue should have been fixed by now, both by
making TYPO3.lang behaves as before for legacy code and by using the
current new API, with TYPO3.l10n.localize().

Steffen pointed out that tests should be done with the caching framework
in frontend as there was once some glitches there.

Toolbar in ExtJS
----------------------------

Refactoring of the top toolbar with brand new API to manipulate it is
postponed for TYPO3 4.7.

Jens and Fabien worked together and discussed the concept of dashboard.
They came up with a 2-mode widget, one "full view" to be used as a
backend module and a "mini-variant" that could be integrated to the
toolbar for short messages such as security alerts. This is another
reason to think about it quietly and not rush into some half-baked
solution in 4.6.

TCEforms Refactoring
----------------------------

Andreas presented us the status of the TCEforms refactoring. At the
moment he thoroughly examined current code and thought about a clean
abstraction to hold all concepts. We then discussed some of them and had
to figure out that we lack manpower on this topic, Andreas is active in
other challenging topics such as FAL (File Abstraction Layer) and he
needs help.

We decided to pause this refactoring for a while and integrate it very
early after kick-off of TYPO3 4.7.

[ *TODO* ] Analyse whether to use JS widgets "manually" integrated into
HTML code or go for a full ExtJS application

Install Tool
----------------------------

Project is going on. Benni is aware of the few bugs Steffen found some
while ago.

S.C.O.T.T.Y.
----------------------------

The SCOTTY team held a few presentations last week and we all agreed
that it really was worth pursuing this "semantic quest". Some PoCs are
available (categorizing content, querying for it) but still has to mature.

For TYPO3 4.6, we decided to stick to adding a hook in t3lib_DB allowing
UUID/GUID to be managed by the different semantic upcoming extensions.
Hopefully, Core-integration of UUID and category could be one of the
wanted features for TYPO3 4.7.

XLIFF
----------------------------

XLIFF has been completely integrated into master. We now wait for the
productive Pootle server to be up and running to replace the various
locallang.xml files by their .xlf equivalent.

Dominique got in touch with Dmitry during T3DD11. The current
translation server has been blocked and the translation teams have been
informed that they won't be able to contribute for about 10 days. This
means that we expect the new translation server to be ready to use until
next week.

Until yesterday we had a big power problem (CPU and RAM) with the
virtual machine we got. We both decided to switch to an externally
hosted solution until Michael is back from holidays. The new server we
have is just blazing fast. Domminique reported that a 6-hour work with
100% CPU load was then performed in about 20 minutes and that the Pootle
frontend was still totally usable.

We still would like to have more visibility for the translation teams,
typically with a Forge project, just as the documentation team.

[ *TODO* Xavier/Olly ] Set up such a project

htmlArea RTE / TinyMCE
feedback from the community.

[ *TODO* Xavier ] Prepare a summary

Indexed Search
----------------------------

Just as other subprojects (I think of linkvalidator), we plan to use a
Git submodule for system extension indexed_search. However, I'm not
willing to do this change before feature freeze because it causes lots
of trouble with pending reviews and would cause more harm than good. As
such *new Git submodules are postponed to right after the feature freeze*.

[TODO *Benni* ] Integrate full text solution from Michael and plugin in
Extbase (pi2) before feature freeze

Card Layout
----------------------------

[ *TODO* Steffen ] Get in touch with Kay to see if his solution is
stable enough to be integrated before feature freeze

init.php Refactoring
----------------------------

A workshop took place during T3DD11 and the team came up with exciting
ideas, still maybe too ambitious for TYPO3 4.6.

Basically the concept is to have a bootstrap initializing required
"components" (define constants, initialize database, ...) with
dependencies and then have different contexts with according
dependencies ("context BE", "context FE", "context BE AJAX", ...).

[ *TODO* Ernesto ] See that a patch in Gerrit is ready until Wednesday
20th July, to have enough time before feature freeze

Link Validator
----------------------------

Project is now using Git instead of Subversion. This will allow us to
integrate it as submodule but as said, not before feature freeze. In the
meantime, the release team will take care of backporting the work into Core.

Misc
----------------------------

Gerrit is now available without being authenticated, read-only of course.

Dates
============================

* TYPO3 4.6 alpha3 on July 12th 2011
* *Feature Freeze and TYPO3 4.6 beta1 on August 2nd 2011*
   no new features and no exceptions after the feature freeze date
* Final Release of TYPO3 4.6.0 on October 25th 2011

Next steps

If you feel interested in a particular project or task, please reply on
the list or directly get in contact with Xavier Perseguers as Release
Manager of TYPO3 4.6.

Xavier

--
Xavier Perseguers