[TYPO3-v4] New vs "Old" Extension Manager

Ingo Renner ingo at typo3.org
Mon Jul 11 13:54:56 CEST 2011

Am 11.07.11 12:15, schrieb Xavier Perseguers:

Hi all,

> 2) We allow only old EM

Since I never really was a fan of the new one I prefer the old EM. More
on that below.

> => still needs some hidden "development" setting to let the contributors
> possibly fix issues? Not sure!

What do you mean here?

Now what I like / dislike about the different versions

The new EM just is not usable to me with its many nested grids and tabs
and thereby creating lots of scroll bars.

Also code wise (which really doesn't matter to the end user though) I
feel that the new EM was a step in the wrong direction. Although things
were split up into several classes, if you have a look at it, it's still
no good OOP. Some things should have gone to t3lib also...

To me, just like Tolleiv, the best solution would be a combination of
both because there certainly are some very good things I do like in the
new EM - the file view of an extension f.e.. Alas, I never thought about
it before, but Tolleiv is right, this should not be part of the EM if we
really think about what it should do... un/installing and configuring
extensions.

An easy step to improve things would be to remove the "installed
extensions" view from the old Em, since this is basically covered by the
install view, too. Some tweaking in naming here and there would be fine
too I guess.

Let's then add some nice JS filter on the table and we're mostly done
I'd say.

When selecting an extension I'd like to see the "tab view" of the new
EM, this is another thing where it is better than the old one.

In the end I'd choose stability over fancyness and bugs...

so far for my impressions
Ingo

--
Ingo Renner
TYPO3 Core Developer, Release Manager TYPO3 4.2, Admin Google Summer of Code

TYPO3 - Open Source Enterprise Content Management System
http://typo3.org

Apache Solr for TYPO3 -
Open Source Enterprise Search meets Open Source Enterprise CMS
http://www.typo3-solr.com