[TYPO3-v4] New vs "Old" Extension Manager

Tolleiv Nietsch info at tolleiv.de
Mon Jul 11 13:32:42 CEST 2011

Hi,

Am 11.07.2011 12:15, schrieb Xavier Perseguers:

> 1) We allow only new EM
> => no more switch to activate old EM
> => we have to tackle with issues the community face with the new EM when
> they chose not to use it => we need your feedback ASAP
=> Changing all existing documentation should be No. 1 on the list ;)

Regarding the UI: Both versions cover too many purposes and thats imho
why both interfaces are not really nice and easy to use. What they do
atm. is simple package and package dependency management on the one hand
(that's what we actually need there) and many developer oriented
features which should imho not be part of the EM by default (export, TER
upload, Filemanagement, Database-Dumps,....).

If we had the time and manpower to do it, I'd suggest to get rid of both
versions and setup a minimalistic EM which perfectly fullfills the
package part and move all the other stuff out of the Core (e.g extdeveval).

But with the current manpower "situation", I'd go the pragmitic way to
choose the EM which runs more stable atm. and even if I like some of the
features within the new one, I've to say that the old one seems to be
more stable for me (can't give any facts/numbers on that, just my
impression).

Cheers,
Tolleiv

--