[TYPO3-v4] Minutes from the 28th meeting of the release 4.5 team

Xavier Perseguers typo3 at perseguers.ch
Mon Jan 24 22:39:30 CET 2011

> Performance issues
>
> Steffen talked with Rupi Germann which did some performance checks on
> our latest code and compared it with previous releases. We have added
> some features improving the overall performance of the backend (removing
> the FRAMESET) but on the other hand many features came in which require
> more processing performance.
>
> The main issue tested is the amount of MySQL queries, which increased
> dramatically in 4.5. Mainly three issues were analyzed:
>
> CSRF
> -----------------------------
>
> New "Form protection" adds several queries when tokens are generated
> (and later deleted). E.g. the list view with the extended view open
> creates several hundreds of queries. For each icon, one additional SQL
> query is added.

I did not look into this particularly but if might be a very good idea
to see whether prepared queries could be used because my tests on
non-MySQL databases have been limited to tiny websites and prepared
queries are the only _current_ way of having a decent UX even with more
(similar) queries when using DBAL.

> See later on for the minutes of our post-meeting with Helmut, where we
> discussed the issue.
>
> Pagetree (initial load)
> -----------------------------
>
> As soon as the pagetree is loaded for the first time (backend.php reload
> or hitting the "Refresh" button) the whole tree of pages is fetched
> through individual queries. Up to 500 pages.
>
> Steffen later talked to Stefan Galinski and this seems to be a
> pre-loading of pages (up to 500) to speed up the user interface on
> future clicks on the tree. Steffen will come up with a solution to have
> this pre-loading configurable because its effectiveness depends on
> various factors (it was defaulting to 500 pages).

Same here...

Cheers
Xavier