[TYPO3-v4] Deprecate fe_adminLib.inc ?

Jigal van Hemert jigal at xs4all.nl
Sat Jan 22 08:09:18 CET 2011

Hi,

On 21-1-2011 23:37, Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] wrote:
> Hi,
>
> these ancient scripts, which we carry duplicated in the core:
>
> typo3\sysext\cms\tslib\media\scripts\fe_adminLib.inc
> typo3\sysext\statictemplates\media\scripts\fe_adminLib.inc
>
> are not maintaineable and not maintained for the last years. But as I
> got to know, they are still "heavily used" (sr_feuser_register,
> direct_mail).

Many websites need means to subscribe to newsletters and to apply for a
fe_user account. There isn't much choice in this field. All extensions
use in some way fe_adminLib.inc. sr_feuser_register and
sr_email_subscribe could be changed to do without them, but this would
limit the choice even more (and both are pretty hard to configure and
even harder to extend).
direct_mail_subscribe and feuser_admin consist almost entirely of
configuration of fe_amdminLib.inc and will then be rendered unusable.

An enterprise level CMS simply needs tools for this. There is a system
extension to handle frontend logins, but no way to apply for such an
account.

But thinking about being able to add/edit records to fe_users or
tt_address tables from the frontend it would be even better to have at
least in the core some code to render form fields for any TCA field.
This would make it a lot easier to create such extensions.
sr_feuser_register contains such code, but this does not comply to
accessibility guide lines.

> This is the last part of the core which still uses t3lib_htmlmail.
>
> So either we make it us t3lib_mail instead, but this would also mean we
> have to keep the ancient methods extractMediaLinks(),
> extractHyperLinks(), fetchHTMLMedia() etc into the "new world" of
> t3lib_mail. Jigal started doing so, but we stopped because of the huge
> amount of work involved.

I already managed to disconnect these methods from the rest of
t3lib_htmlmail, but they really like to be rewritten. Even though they
are mainly used by extensions such as direct mail I still feel that this
functionality should be provided by the core.

On the same level it would be very useful to have more tools available
to extension authors even if they are not directly used inside the core.
Maybe these could come as a system / A-class extension.

--
Kind regards / met vriendelijke groet,

Jigal van Hemert
skype:jigal.van.hemert