[TYPO3-v4] Implications of RFC Bug #16966: be_layout setting "none" is not working and be_layout should not be inherited automatically

Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] ernst at cron-it.de
Wed Jan 12 10:59:03 CET 2011

Sebastian Fischer schrieb am 12.01.2011 10:34:

> But there is still the other side that there are editors working with TV
> for a long time by now. If those are situated with the new Gridview and
> Layout inheritance concept they will use it like they learned it.
> So they are sitting there seeing those both fields and are using them
> like "hey i know that, i can handle it, cool first time i dont need to
> ask my supporter for what the hack this could be".

Maybe just relabeling them a bit (or adding a CSH) would help already
that TV-experienced guy to notice that it works "better" here:

- Backend Layout (this page only)
- Backend Layout (starting on next level)

That would clear the meaning and we don't need any other way of dealing
with it.

If I were a TV user, I would love it! :) I would then even go to the TV
developers and urge them to implement the switch you are proposing the
other way around in TV => to make the be_layouts way of dealing with it
available in TV.

> If bad things come together, so always, they use it for some weeks until
> they realize that there is something wrong. The page has the wrong
> layout or it just doesnt work like expected. Worse case would be that a
> head editor makes clear that he/she was WRONG.

A normal editor usually checks out the page right away after editing it,
especially if he's working for the first time on a new system. So I
don't expect that it pops up "weeks after" the change was done. Either
he "gets it" because it makes sense (because he reads the labels and the
CSH) or he contacts you and you can explain it in 10 mins.

There is no migration path from a TV site to a Gridview-site, so a TV
site will probably always be TV and not "migrated" to gridview.

> So what we got? We have two different implementations of backend
> layouting TV and Gridview. We have in both the mearly same two fields.
> And we have 2 completly different behaviours.
> Heck, give me two week summer holyday and even i'm not able to tell them
> apart. Neither which one does what.

Would relabeling as proposed above not help?

> So to bring both worlds together, the new current implementation and the
> implementation of TV i would like to find a solution that makes it
> possible to suit either cases.
>
> To cope with both conzepts we could have something like
> mod.web_layout.gridview.inheritance = nextLevel
> mod.web_layout.gridview.inheritance = both

Well this would lead to even more confusing world, because then you will
also be able to have the same user experience being different just
because of this setting. An editor which is supposed to work with TV and
non-TV sites will probably also then get in touch with non-TV sites with
both variants of inherition => *this* is something i would find more
confusing than having different approaches in TV and gridview.

My point of view, I hope to get more opinions here, maybe also from
other TV users?