[TYPO3-v4] removing depreciated function

Krystian Szymukowicz t33k at prolabium.com
Mon Feb 28 20:00:52 CET 2011

hi

TYPO3 was always famous from being extremly well upgradable.  There were
even stories about sucessful upgrade from 3.6 to 4.4. I would say this
is the strenght of TYPO3.

If I remember well - now from 4.6 there will be first removing of
depreciated functions. Of course the most impact with this removal will
be not for core but for extensions.

Core is much better maintable than extensions which are usually managed
by one man which from several reasons have no willing/time etc. to
change the depecated functions.

IMO this will lead to 2 things:

a) there will be less beta testing on real installations becuase if fe.
30% of the extensions will break nobody will test the new core. (I just
testd 4.6dev and swiched back to 4.5.2 bacause of extensions using old API),

b) there will be one big chaos after realase of 4.6 as people which are
used to smooth upgrages will now having horror,

So the question is - is it really worth ? Are advantages bigger than
drawback?
Should TYPO3 loose the label "easy upgradable" ?

Yes I know there is more code in the core to maintain etc, but could the
functions just stay and not be maintained anymore ? :)

I hope to hear you opinion.

--
grtz
Krystian Szymukowicz