[TYPO3-v4] Core performance for 4.6 and beyond

Dmitry Dulepov dmitry.dulepov at gmail.com
Thu Feb 10 21:01:06 CET 2011

Hi!

Christian Kuhn wrote:
> I don't feel offended by those mail from you. We've had those things
> before ...

Thanks!

> Simple technical reason: memcache is a flat key-value store, but the
> caching frameworks must tag entries. So we try to push some structure
> into memcache which is a clear misuse, this is the main reason why
> memcache is not the ideal backend with the caching framework. Maybe we
> should come up with a hybrid backend: tags and relations in sql or some
> other persistent storage, data in memcache. This might work out much
> better.

This is a good idea! Having tags in the DB could be much better. Especially
if it uses "INSERT DELAYED".

> Yep, memcache can easily handle >50k reads / s on a single server. I'm
> aware of that. In general I'd love to use memcache too ...

So, should we improve that? I think it is important because people will
naturally try memcache.

> Please compare the 'old' (db driven) caching with the caching framework
> and db backend. I'd expect your load to be normal. Next, you could
> compare different cf backend implementations to check if there is one
> with better performance than mysql for your use case.

I can't make that comparison now :( We rolled out a new version this
weekend, so old version is gone.

> Memcache backend is great if you don't tag.

I think it should not make a big difference. Of course, differencies will
be but they should not be that tragical.

--
Dmitry Dulepov
TYPO3 core&security team member
E-mail: dmitry.dulepov at typo3.org